Historic Register Home
The Stout-Buckman House
This is a photo of “The Stout House” or “The Stout-Buckman House” as it’s referred to in “The New History of Shelby County” book (Architecture chapter). Various members of the Stout Family owned the home from 1838 to around 1901. Surnames of later owners that we have found through deeds, estate records and wills are Kester (wife was a Stout), Buckman, Berry/Reed, Lloyd, LeCompte, McClain, Broadwater (developer), Veech and Goetzinger.
It is located off of Van Dyke Mill Road and it’s estimated to have been built circa 1812. The house is one of the few remaining “6 Bay Houses” in Shelby County. It is a Shelby County Landmark on The Kentucky Historical Register, and also it is included in a Shelby County Kentucky multiple listing on the National Register.
Contributed by Suzann Veech Goetzinger
Return to Old Shelby Photos Index